All You Need to Know About the Best Smoker Grills in the Market
Welcome to the right place for all American Gourmet lovers! You may be new in grilling the finest meats or are a veteran at smoking & grilling everything edible or one who is between the two. Whatever the case may be, information about barbecue smokers is what you must always be on the lookout for. You cannot just single out the best smoker grill so easily. There will be a number of questions in your mind as you set out to learn all there is about grills, including ‘Which one will be the best for me?’, ‘Is that charbroil electric smoker worth my money?’ and so on. With this page, your search for the best smoker grill and everything else that is there to know about every smoker grill for sale in the market comes to an end.
Different Types of Smokers and What They Offer
Before we inform you about the most durable electric smoker or the best wood pellet grill that the market has to offer, it is important that you know about the different kinds of smokers currently available out there. Primarily, barbecue smokers can be divided into 4 categories- pellet, electric, gas and charcoal.
The huge varieties of smoker grills available for sale will stun you if you did not know about that already. Before you decide if you should go for a cheap electric smoker or the best wood pellet grill, there are a few questions that you should answer to better understand your needs, such as what is your budget and whether you want a charcoal or a gas smoker? Let us now analyze different kinds of grills & smokers and see what each of these has to offer.
If you are looking for an easy-to-use and low-maintenance smoker then an electric smoker is what you need. It could be a charbroil electric smoker or any other product in the market that suits your needs. Almost all of these will offer you a range of features, including:
- A set and forget feature- set once as per your required settings and the smoker will do the rest itself.
- Fuel is not needed- electric smokers require electricity and wood chips to make smoke.
- Precision controls- electric smokers have a range of precision controls that allow you to control the cooking process exactly the way you want.
- Fuel refills aren’t required- just plug in and use the electric smoker the way you want.
- Simple to use- even beginners can use any electric smoker as per their requirements.
- Safety- many conscious neighborhoods may not allow gas lines to be used for safety reasons, which leaves electric smokers the only sensible choice.
- Affordability- as compared to other smoker grills that use gas, electric smokers are in fact more affordable.
While these points make them seem as the best smoker grills type out there, electric models have a few disadvantages as well, including:
- Electric smokers use quite a bit of electricity, thus rising their usage costs higher.
- Using them outdoors may be a hassle since you cannot conveniently get electricity outside your house.
If you are looking for the best wood pellet grill currently available in the market, you must choose backyard smokers. While they may not be the cheapest of wood pellet grills that the market has to offer, they have a lot of other features that make the cost of buying them worth it in the long run. Let us look at some features of them and see what they can mean for you.
- Wood pellet smokers primarily use pellets that are available in bulk, thus making them less expensive to use.
- In new models, you can set the wood pellet smoker to your desired setting and leave it to cook without any other interference.
- Wood pellet smokers can help you cook smooth and delicious meat, and the flavor can be varied using different pellets.
- They are a source of indirect heat, making them ideal for cooking all types of meats.
- Using wood pellet smokers is easy. You just have to set them as per your preferences and then no further effort is required.
- Wood pellet smokers are more echo-friendly as compared to their counterparts that use gas.
- You can get a variety of flavors in the meat being cooked- only different types of wood pellets are required for it.
- They are the best choice for cooking various types of meat.
However, just like everything else, a wood pellet grill is not perfect in every aspect. Using it comes with a set of disadvantages, such as:
- Wood pallet grills are not ideal for cooking hot dogs, steaks and similar types of food.
- Some wood pallet grills may require you to use only some specific pellets, which may be more expensive than the normal ones.
If there is someone who has fallen in love with the taste that charcoal smoker grills produce, it will be hard to make him or her like foods made with other types of grill. Once you have figured out how to use charcoal smoker grills, making the most delicious foods will be easy. Charcoal smokers may not be the cheapest smoker grills, but they offer a few features that make them worth using, such as:
- They have a distinctive taste that other types of grill cannot reproduce.
- They use charcoal for heating the wood chips, which in turn creates the smoke. Thus the volume of smoke produced is much greater, creating a smoky flavor.
- There are many varieties of charcoal smokers to choose from, depending on your requirements and how you need to use them.
- There are both low-budget and expensive options available for you.
Now let us look at the advantages that you may get from charcoal smoker grills:
- They can produce more smoky meat than any other type of grills or smokers.
- Depending on your budget and requirements, there is a large variety of charcoal smokers to choose from.
- They are easy to use and most smokers are space efficient as well.
- Using charcoal smokers is relatively inexpensive.
However, they are not perfect either. Here are some cons that come with charcoal smokers:
- Starting a fire with these smokers can be a hassle, taking up quite a bit of time.
- If starting the fire is one problem, maintaining it at the right temperature is another challenge.
If you want a smoker that is convenient to use and power without any hassles, a gas smoker may be the best smoker grill for you. Even cheap BBQ grills using gas can be made into extremely efficient and delicious meal-making equipment. These backyard smokers do not need any extra power outlets, thus making them convenient to be used outside your house as well. Some of their main features are:
- They are amongst the most cheapest BBQ grills you will find in the market.
- In the best gas smokers, you get a range of features, like precise temperature control, temperature displays, easy cleaning, and so on.
- They are easy to use and there is no learning curve in these gas smokers to cook your favorite food.
- All you need is a small gas tank to power these smokers. There is no need to bring any pellets or look for electrical outlets.
Here are the major pros of these smoker grills that make them the best you will ever find:
- Aside of being cheap in price, precise temperature control and display make it quite easy to use them.
- If you are on a tight budget, this type of smoker grills will suit you best.
- They will produce a sufficient amount of smoke to allow you have the exact flavor you want.
- With gas smokers, a small portable propane tank is all you need to power it.
The major disadvantages of them are:
- The amount of smoke is less than charcoal or electric smokers.
- Despite of the low cost, propane or any other gas that you use will cost more than electricity and probably, charcoal.
Must-Have Parts and Accessories in a Smoker Grill
Knowing different types of smoker grills available in the market is just the beginning. You should also know which accessories or parts you must have with a smoker grill to make the most of it. Here is a brief roundup of those accessories:
- Wheels: Wheels on a smoker grill will make it easy for you to move it around with ease. If you are planning to get a smoker to take around different places, try getting a unit with wheels to make the portability easier.
- Grill: If you do not already have a grill but would like a smoker that has one then you can go for a grill-smoker combo. The downside of it is that it will cost you some extra money. It might cause some problems if you are on a tight budget.
- Cover: You should cover your smoker to keep it clean and avoid any damage from outside elements. Most smokers come with a cover and the manufacturers also sell them at an extra cost.
- Side racks: Side racks and shelves can help increase the total working area, thus helping you do multiple tasks while using it. They can also be used as a place to store food and other condiments, accessories and tools within reach.
- Interior Movable Shelves: Shelves will need adjustment as per the kind of meet you will cook. Adjustable shelves help you move them as needed to cook your preferred meat.
What to Expect in Different Budget Ranges of Smoker Grills?
Now, let us look at what each price range will get you in terms of smoker grills and the associated features.
1. Smokers less than $100
Below the $100 price range, the best smokers you can expect are electric or gas smokers. A good propane gas smoker that runs on propane can cook for 4 to 5 people. You can get only some basic features in this price range. For instance, the Masterbuilt M7P, running on both charcoal and propane with a 10.5-quart pot is a good choice. There is also a front-loading electric smoker by Smokehouse that can be ideal in this budget. This range is ideal for those looking to buy their first smokers.
2. Smokers between $100 and $250
In this price range, the real features begin to show up and you can expect a decent smoker of almost all types. You will get a durable smoker that offers a range of features, including precise controls as well as decent cooking capacity. However, it will still not exceed serving for more than 5 people. This is also the starting line for electric smokers. So if you are looking for electric smokers, you will have to raise your budget a bit. Something like the Smokey Mountain Smoker is perfect in this range.
3. Between $251 and $400
This is the ideal amount to spend on a smoker grill. You can get anything from electric to charcoal in this price range and the variety of options is vast here. If you are a beginner with a lot of cash to spare then this range will offer everything that you need to fall in love with American Gourmet. Authentic BBQ with capacities that can cook above 8 stacks of ribs at once is what this price range offers. Check out products, like the Pit Barrel Cooker and the Old Smokey Smoker here.
4. Between $401 and $800
If you are looking for the best smoker grill in this price range then it is obvious that you have a lot of love for gourmet (with plenty of cash to spare!). In this range, you can get the best of all the 4 types of smoker grills with capacities that can help you feed 15 to 20 people with ease. This range will give you some of the most high-quality smokers, like those by SmokinTex and Char Broil.
5. Above $800
In this price range, the higher you go, the more you will get. There are some smoker grills that cost above $1000, offering unique features like automatic settings, alarms, LED displays that can be viewed even in sunlight, multiple stacks and compatibility with both charcoal and gas. In fact, some of them work with electricity too. Check out the Summerset or Hasty Bake grills to get an idea of what to expect.
What to Look for as You Start Shopping for One?
As you are now armed with the right knowledge to buy the best smoker grill, it is time to know about some things worth remembering regardless of what type of smoker grills you are looking for. Here is a roundup of some of the most important things to remember while buying smoker grills:
- How Good it is in Controlling Temperature
Thermostats are used in electric smokers for keeping the temperature in check. However, the latest models are using rheostats to get a more accurate reading. Knowing the internal temperature is critical to get the best cooking results. And you need to keep it in check if you want the best value for your money spent.
- Heat Source
You need to be comfortable with the grill’s heat structure before purchasing it. This heat flow is based on the way heat is distributed within its chamber. You can also look for the smokers that have the e-smoker temp-control feature.
- Resource Consumption
Electric smokers use up electricity that makes them ideal for you if you are not up for collecting charcoal or setting up gas pipelines. Ensure that you know what the smoker will consume and whether you are comfortable with the associated costs or not.
- Layered Structure
A layered structure is very common in most smokers. You can go for those that have thick grids to minimize the cooking time. However, those with hollow grids give you the most delicious taste in meat or fish.
Thus, with these factors mentioned above, purchasing the best smoker grill that the market has to offer should be an easier task for you. So get the best one and grill the best meat of your life today!