The best memories I have of my childhood are ones where I would wake up on a sunday morning and prepare the charcoal smoker with my dad. This was not just for Super Bowl Sunday, it was for every sunday that football was on TV. This was a family tradition that I would never miss, starting from when I was 3 till this day. Every sunday, I would wake up and clean up the grill and prep for sunday football.
I have a lot of great memories with this tradition; I first introduced my wife to my parents during this tradition, my first son was conceived on one of these days, and was born on a football sunday.
Finding the best charcoal smoker is not all about hot dogs, beer and football; it is much more. It is about bringing families together and creating love. You must get the best charcoal grill to make the best barbecue, and this list of the 10 best grills will help you with that.
What You Will Get Here
- Why Should You Trust Us?
- Who are Charcoal Smokers For?
- How to get the most out of your new charcoal smoker?
- Should You Upgrade your smoker?
- Charcoal Fuel Types That you should know about
- What Makes a Good Charcoal Smoker?
- How We Picked and Tested?
- Our Top Ten List:
- Our Pick: Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18-Inch Charcoal Smoker, Black
- Our Budget Pick: Weber 10020 Smokey Joe 14-Inc Portable Grill
- Our Portable Pick: Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
- Advanced Pick: Char-Broil the Big Easy TRU Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill
- List of 7 Other Pellet Smokers We Reviewed
- List of Others Products We Tasted
- Care and Maintenance
Why Should You Trust Us?
We have been studying and researching the best charcoal smokers over the past 4 years in order to make this list absolutely accurate. The reason we got into this work is simply because we wanted to enhance the experience of the tradition as our family grew larger and larger as time progressed. So that we were getting the best quality grilling done to feed our people.
We considered over 40 of the charcoal grill smokers on the market and tested up to 20 of these products for this list. A combined 55 hours of research was dedicated by our team in creating this list to help you pick out your best option of a quality grill.
This 55 hours included hours used in part to do web research, and the rest on actually physically testing the products with experts. These experts came in handy when we wanted to determine how well grills stored flavor, or how smokey the meats would taste after, or how long it would take to heat up. These are some questions among several we wanted answered because that is what matters most to consumers when they are choosing a grill.
With these things in mind and considering some of the other important features, we picked out the most effective charcoal smokers on the market.
Please bear in mind that our intent is to select what is to us, the best charcoal smoker. Our intent is not to promote a particular brand or product; but rather to select the best overall grill on the market.
Who are Charcoal Smokers For?
- People who like the authentic taste of coal smoked food: The best meals we had on sundays were those we could also enjoy on other days after the initial. The food tasted well smoked, rather than tasting like smoked coal. This is an important fact for all great grills, they must grill the meats without making it taste like smoked coal. The taste of smoked coal in the mouth tastes extremely disgusting and the highest quality grills must be able to avoid this pitfall.
- People who have a large space in their backyards: At one point we had hundreds of people coming to enjoy football sunday at our house. My father was known to be the “chefmeister” of our cul-de-sac; neighbors were inviting their other family members to our home for the best grilled foods. This was all thanks to the quality grill my father had purchased at the time; that guy is a savant of throwing a party with the best smoked foods.
- People who already have grills and want a higher quality for lower price: Now you may already own a good grill, however you want something cheaper priced and at a higher quality. Look no further than our list, to help you find an affordable new grill that simply outperforms your current one.
- Can be used by these types of individuals:
- People on Vacation: There are some particularly awesome portable grills on the market that you can use when visiting the ultimate vacation spots. To be able to grill well on vacation pretty much amounts to being able to get a bunch of girls around your tent for free food. If you know what I mean.
- Professionals for various competitions: While not as common, professional smokers and grillers need to have the best equipment or risk over-smoky foods. You got to have the best stuff to compete on a high level.
- Travelers: Some people who are on the road a lot of the time for work must also invest in these high quality products to get the best tasting foods anywhere they may find themselves on a particular day.
- People who are health conscious: Smoked foods present a variety of positives including making foods less fatty and maintaining more of the vitamins and nutrients that are removed by frying or overcooking.
How to get the most out of your new charcoal smoker?
Getting a high quality grill, which is the purpose of this article, is only the first possible step. The real work starts when you start grilling. Grilling and smoking to perfection requires great skill and patience; it pays to learn what the best techniques are.
So that when you may combine your best practices with the best charcoal smoker you can afford with your budget. Here are a few things to look out for:
Heat Level: Different meats require different heat settings to be cooked properly. There is a rule of thumb for determining the heat level of the grill at any moment in time. The rule is to carefully place your hand over the grate and start counting.
Should you be able to keep your hands over the grill for 5 seconds, you are on low heat. The smaller the seconds you can keep your hands over the grate get, the hotter the grill.
Pay attention: It is important to keep an eye on the grilling work you are doing. Distractions come from every corner; and you do not wish to burn the food. I cannot tell you how many times
I personally over-grilled the meats when my dad gave me the opportunity because some cute neighbor girl would not leave me alone. Focus on the food first, just by doing that you will get even more success with the ladies for your manliness. Attention is key in every aspect in life but especially more so in cooking and grilling. Take your time and avoid costly mistakes.
When is the food grilled properly: Most experienced grillers can tell just from their experience when a meal has been grilled to perfection. Most of us do not fit this category and so we must have a means to verify if the food is perfect for eating. Undercooked meats can kill you, but it also easy to overcook meals.
A thermometer is necessary for non-experts who cannot tell just by looking. This is key, you must grill the meat to the right temperature and a thermometer is a fantastic way to tell where exactly you are. No one wants to die from food poisoning and this is surely a fantastic way to tell whether your food is well cooked or undercooked.
Should You Upgrade your smoker?
There is one underlying factor that is true for everything on this earth; and it is that everyone at one point or another must die. Everything has a date thru which it is considered pristine and still functional. This is as true for all of humanity as it is for grills.
Warranties for smokers run anywhere from 1-3 years, with the companies that believe in their products a little more opting for a warranty closer to 3 years.
A common symptom of grills that needs to be replaced is when it is not performing its functions as well as it used to. A change in quality of end product is a sure indicator that you need to replace your old grill. Examples of a change in quality can be: tasting metal in your foods, lack of saturated flavors, and perhaps longer heating time to grill food. These are all indicators that you charcoal smoker is getting old.
It is possible that your grill needs only to be cleaned properly, not that it needs to be replaced. Saving money is a priority in every situation. So before jumping to the conclusion that you need a new grill right away, first try and clean the smoker thoroughly as possible so as to eliminate any possibilities.
Money is an important asset and we must not waste it. To spend it without checking if there are any alternatives is not a financially sound decision. We must first aim to eliminate all other possibilities before spending money on a new grill.
Replacing your smoker completely may not necessarily be the right decision for you. Sometimes it only requires an upgrade here or there.
Upgrade your smoker, or replace it depending on its age and depending on whether it still performs at a level you wish it to.
Charcoal Fuel Types That you should know about
As you can imagine each smoker comes with a variety of requirements according to what type of fuel or energy is needed to operate it. The following are a few of the ways you can use to power your best smoker.
Lump Charcoal: Lump charcoal is also known as the natural lump charcoal. There is a belief amongst many that this is the first discovered form of charcoal, created by heating logs or trees in a machine called a kiln. A kiln is a sealed cave. This type of charcoal is binder-free and is considered pure wood. This type of coal burns very cleanly and purely; making it a plus for the environment. Lump charcoal incinerates unevenly, first hot then cold. It burns very quickly, and for this reason it usually must be refueled much more.
Binchotan: This is a Japanese manufactured super lump coal which comes in cylinders resembling branches. This type of coal is created from ubamegashi, a type of oak found in mud caves through Japan. It tends to burn cleanly according to experts, and does not produce the usual woody flavor to overpower the meats. Due to the amazing qualities and the amount of work put into creating such a beautiful and efficient charcoal, it can be quite pricey. One of the detriments however, is that it takes a somewhat long time to get this coal to burn properly. Experts recommend using a torch or an electric lighter and allow at least 35 minutes for the coal to be lit. Once it is lit though, it incinerates itself for an extensive period of time.
Coconut Shell: This type of charcoal is mostly utilized in southern Asia, Thailand especially. These types of coal burn quickly in comparison to the Binchotan and costs a bit less. They are very rare in the United States, but most hibachi restaurants utilize them for a classic flavor you cannot get with other charcoals. It would require a plethora of coconut shells to get these fires going.
Briquettes: These are master coals that are supposed to burn hotly and evenly over an extended period of time. Most experts agree that these types of coal are actually the best kind, as they cost less than the others and burn more steadily. The detriment of this charcoal is that it contains a mix of different materials that give off a somewhat heavy smell that can overpower your meats. These are instant light coals that contain materials that allow it to be lit very quickly; however it is debatable whether the materials included are harmful or not when grilling. This is one you must research a bit more before buying, because some people argue it alters the taste of the foods.
What Makes a Good Charcoal Smoker?
There are several reasons we found that makes a good charcoal smoker good. Our research indicated that there are a few sectors that actually concern those that purchase these grills. Customers of every product, from groceries to electronics are most concerned with the actual cost of the products. There are certain similarities between all products, like for example,a lot products are portable. However, the question is, what other benefits does the machine possess which makes it better than most of the others. These are some of the key questions that we believe must be answered in order to know whether a charcoal smoker is worth it.
One of the theories you learn from Economics is that people are always looking out to get the best value for the lowest price. No matter what the product in question may be. People wish to pay as little as possible to get the highest quality product. The best charcoal smoker is one that costs little and lasts a while.
There are several varieties of grills out on the market. Some are made for big parties and others are made for small gatherings or at least portable enough for you to take along with you to the hotel. A good charcoal smoker is one that satisfies the needs of the user in terms of size.
Commercial grillers require a lot more size than personal traveler grillers. This is important, because the needs of each customer is different. The best charcoal smoker is one that works best for the person using it. A big grill for a big party and a small grill for smaller parties.
Once again, it is important to know what kind of grill you are looking for. There are some that are portable and others are just not. The larger grills are ones that you need for commercial or bigger parties; so these are machines that will not require portability. This isa vertical machine you would transport in trucks.
There are those others that come with amazing portability. These are ones that you use for individual or personal smoking. These are machines you can take to your hotel and use at a park. In fact there are some grills that are handheld, so hypothetically you can grill on the bus on the way home from work. We would not advice that you do this though, because others will surely attack you and steal your meal.
Does this machine have a temperature range that chars meats at an appropriate heat setting? There is a necessity to have a fantastic thermometer to go along with your grill. We will explore further some of the more modern features of each product as we go further along.
How We Picked and Tested?
Over the past few years, 4 to be exact, we have tested over 30 charcoal smokers and have found the 10 that we think are the best on the market. None of the products on this list are perfect by any means; however they are the best that offer the highest quality grilling for the least possible price.
We were concerned with finding out several different things about each of these 10 grills. First, we wanted to know how well each machine performed. Further, how durable these grills would be when used for extended periods of time. Also, we wished to know how the charcoals, when burned in these grills, affected the flavors that would be present in the meats that were grilled.
We spent close to two months working on testing these products to be certain that they were high quality not just in grilling but also in longevity. This is key; these grills must not only be efficient but also affordable at the same time.
I remember testing one particular smoker that gave off a strangely metallic flavor every time we burned coal in it. We wondered why exactly this was happening, and it turned out that the smoke from the grill was mixing together with the imbalanced metals used to create the smoker. So that the meats tasted strangely metallic, instead of like the barbecue sauce we used.
This became an important facet of our work; to make sure that the grills we were using were not altering the taste we were hoping to create. There is nothing worse than doing a lot of work to grill meats only to have the taste be ruined by the machine you are using.
You must know that we are a completely independent company looking to recommend the best possible product. We do not in any way wish to suggest you purchase any particular brand. We are a private company recommending what we think is the best product after years of research. With that in mind please feel free to read our attached report to learn more about the several features each one of these machines possesses.
Our Top Ten List:
We have analyzed 49 of the most important features for each of the products that are on this list. Our research, as usual, is open for public view in the form of the attached excel spreadsheet that reviews some of the features that each product possesses. We simply ask that you like, follow, or friend us on the social media sites we have provided.
This will automatically unlock the restriction on the excel file. Also, we believe that each person that endeavors to grill properly must have some sort of guidance. For this reason, our social media sites tend to have publications that give you what is possibly the best advice on the internet about how to use your grill and how to get the best use out of it.
Without further ado, let us present to you our best picks of charcoal smokers on the market, starting with our own favorite pick.
Why Is It Our No 1 Pick?
- The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker is our pick for several reasons, including the ability to grill bbq without influencing the meats with a metallic taste. The following reasons are why we believe it is the best:
- As previously mentioned, we took researched almost 30 charcoal smokers for this list and compared each one on based on the 49 positive feature list. This machine in particular won the comparison game handily. It has the most positive reviews that are conducive to a great grilling experience. For example it came in first place on things like Vertical size which makes it easy to store and easy to clean. It also has a porcelain coating that allows it to be incredibly durable for years. Other features like the ability to use one 1 load of coal for 8 hours of grilling is another quality that makes it endearing for most consumers. The built-in thermometer in the lid allows you to feasibly tell whether your food is cooked to the right temperature.
- This machine costs under $300 making it one of the most affordable on the list, especially for all the benefits it provides. This machine, with the price and value it provides blows each product we tested out of the water.
- The frequency of rating of each product determines how the customers feel about this each product. A higher frequency of rating means most people love the product. This product boasts the highest amount of reviews out of all the other products that we researched. In the first 18 days it received 10 reviews, another 10 reviews in 8 days, and the last 10 in 16 days. This makes it overall one of the best, if not the best.
- This machine comes with a porcelain enamel water pan that adds steam to the smoking process, keeping your meat moist and tender. None of the other products on this list can boast of this; that is why this machine is our pick.
Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker Review:
Below is an honest review of our pick, the Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18-Inch Charcoal Smoker. We hope that it is useful to you, because we ourselves found it extremely durable and highly efficient.
At a price between $250 and $330, this machine is one of the higher priced on this list. However do not let this fool you, the makers of this machine created it with so many positive features that the price charged for it is a crime. It is very underpriced for the value it provides. The amazing thing is that, the features it has in our opinion should place it around $500, however it costs almost half that. This machine is impressive, and in the two months of us testing it, we considered not testing any more products.
This machine comes with a total cooking space of 481 square inches. Making it one of the largest cooking areas one this list. This allows you enough space to cook for a good number of people in a party. This machine is best for large scale, almost corporate, events that would see you serve an upwards of 50-100 people. Two of these machines would guarantee that a party would be incredibly well fed. This machine was created with big parties in mind, and it is durable enough to support the meals you wish to grill.
This machine is made for high scale grilling, and is not the most portable on this list. It stands at 18.5 inches, making it one of the lengthier versions of barbecue smokers on the market. As previously mentioned, this grill is made for high scale barbecuing and is meant to be stationary and solid. Gather up your family and friends in your backyard, or transport this machine to a park and gather up your coworkers.
Some of the awesome features included with the product include a built-in thermometer, heavy duty cooking grates and a water pan that keeps your food moist and soft. This machine helps keep the grilled meat supple, tasty and extremely flavorful.
- Flavor retaining
- High quality grilling
Why We Chose This as Our Budget Pick?
- When we begun to test our different products over the last few years, this product was one of the most affordable. At the price charged for it, we believed it would not even be a worthy enough choice to invest in.
- We were surprised to say the least. The phrase “do not judge a book by its cover” applies here one hundred percent. It is priced very cheaply however it comes with a great number of features that makes it the most budget friendly machine on our list.
- Speaking of the value this machine provides, it comes with features like a porcelain covered body, and a cast iron charcoal grate and a whopping 10 years of warranty. Easily the best product on this list, however it is our budget pick because of the price at which it is being sold.
This charcoal smoker is priced under $50 making it the lowest priced and the most user friendly. This bbq machine is made for beginners and it incredibly feasible to use.
- This machine garnered 30 positive reviews in 43 days; as you may be able to tell from our attached excel report detailing our research results. This is extremely impressive for this product, in less than a month and a half and with 30 reviews is an impressive feat.
- Further this bbq machine comes with a One-Touch cleaning system and easy dump pan for efficient and effective cleaning. The fact that this is even included in the product at this price is why it makes our budget pick.
Weber 10020 Smokey Joe Review:
Our budget pick for the best charcoal bbq smoker is worth every cent paid for it. The features attached to this thing are so amazing we had a hard time choosing another one after it. Below is a review of this product and why exactly it made our list. It really should be our pick but it deserves this budget pick slot even more.
The easy cleaning technology by itself makes this product worth much more than what is vein charged for it. This is a portable bbq smoking machine, it is incredibly versatile and durable at the same time. With a price under $50, it is the most affordable and highest value product on the market. The customers all rave about this factor of this particular grill, it is so budget effective that people bought multiple ones just in case one of them broke down or was lost for one reason or another. That is a testament to how great a product this bbq machine is.
This portable charcoal grill measures at about 14.5 inches in its interior. Making it big enough for a portable machine. This allows individuals to grill enough food for a small party of 3 or 4 at once. The charcoal grill is meant for small jobs and the price charged for capacity makes it even more impressive.
This product boasts a proud history of grilling for tail gaits and get togethers between family members. Cookouts are also an easy place to use these grills, several customers boasted about how amazing these machines are to move from one place to another. Making it not only very well priced, but also incredibly feasible to use. This bbq smoking machine should be rated a ten out of ten.
With a 10 year warranty that comes with the purchase of this highly rated product, you are guaranteed a long lasting use. However the key is to realize that the manufacturers believe in the utmost durability of this product; they are so sure this machine will last long that they will replace it for you 10 years after purchase.
- High Value
- Cooking area
Why We Chose This as Our Portable Pick?
- First things first, please do not get confused by the Tiffin Box Shape. This machine comes with steel plated legs that maneuver to secure the lid in place. It comes with a glass-reinforced nylon handle that gives better transport opportunity.
- The manufacturers were seemingly interested only in creating a product that boasted the highest level of maneuverability. In that sense it succeeds much more so than our budget pick. It is our portability pick because it is a bit more portable than our budget pick.
- Furthermore, it comes with adjustable dampers and porcelain enameled coating allow for both heat control and rust prevention. These two features certainly make it an awesome product. Rust is a major factor where metallic smokers are concerned, no one wants a rusty taste along with their grilled steaks.
- It is also priced under $50, making it one of the most affordable product on the market. Easy to carry, and a stylish design makes this product worth every cent paid for it. The manufactures are known for creating high quality products for the cheap.
- It received its 30 highest reviews in a span of 79 days, a slower rate than our budget pick but a relatively highly rated product none-the-less. The standout feature of this charcoal that we found is that it comes with neither nuts nor bolts, which gives it a more solid and non squeaky nature. It far surpasses other products on the market in this respect.
Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill Review
A preliminary look at our attached research results should tell you a great deal about how well this product is made. At the price for which it is being charged and the features it offers, most consumers know that this is a great deal. The following is an honest review of this product as according to our research.
With a price under $50, each customer raves about how well this bbq grilling machine is made. It is a solid and durable machine that comes without any nuts or bolts. Making it a one of a kind machine on this list. The price you pay for it does not even make sense, it is really a crime to pay so low for a machine that gives so much value. We are all constantly seeking the lowest priced items with the highest possible quality. This barbecue smoker meets that requirement.
This smoker comes with a 160 square inch rectangular steel plated grilling area that allows you to grill many meals and serve a good handful of people. It is not as spacious as our budget pick, however it is not smaller by too much. You are able to place about four or five steaks for each grilling cycle. This should keep your guests and fellow tailgaters very happy.
This machine is highly touted for its portability, and it is perfect for tailgating and camping. This is a machine you take along with you when you do not want to haul your giant grill from home. Transporting grills is a touch job, and so finding a portable smoker that you can take anywhere should be a priority. This machine is literally designed to be hauled from place to place without very much hassle.
This product comes with built in lid hanger that allows you to place the lid on the side of the grill to create a necessary wall against the wind. Also it comes with a triple-nickel-coated grate that is easy to clean.
- Ease of cleaning
- Size of cooking area.
Why We Chose This as Our Advanced Pick?
- The Char-Broil Infrared smoker remains to this day one of our favorites that was tested during the research phase. The first thing that came to mind when we first started using it was “WOW.” It was something we could have used for months to come without testing any others. Had it not been for the fact that we were engaged in a scientific study we probably would have gotten extremely fat from all the grilling we would be doing.
- Significant features like a thermometer, grease tray and the smoker box give you a finished product that is well cooked and has sustained and maintained the intended flavors. It is easily the most highly upgraded product on our list. This product spreads infrared head evenly across the entire cooking surface, so that all food is captured. This setting can be adjusted to better smoke foods to your liking.
This heavy duty machine is priced under $200, making it a lot less expensive than our own pick; and yet it comes with features that are very high quality and guarantee that you will consistently have a very even keeled grilling.
- This product is known as the rating attractor on the market. It was rated much faster than any of the others on this list. First 11 days saw it rated 10 times, followed by 10 more ratings in 9 days and rated 10 more times in the next 11 days. This makes it the quickest rated machine on the market at this moment in time until further notice.
It uses TRU-Infrared technology that is not possessed by any of the other charcoal smokers that we researched. This helps it control the temperature from 9000 to 18000 BTU and its size is also very impressive. All around, an advanced grill.
Char-Broil Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill Review:
Our advanced is really a product that could easily have been our pick. However it does not possess as many features as our pick; yet it is the most highly technological smoker that we could find. Here is a review of this product.
At a price under $200, we can safely assume that the manufacturers of this machine knew what they were doing. It comes with several important factors that make it worth that price. The rating frequency should tell you something about the price of this product as well; a great number of the reviews and comments we got on this smoker is that the price does not reflect all the machine contributes. I must agree with that sentiment; it is underpriced for the value it gives.
This top bbq smoking machine covers up to a 180 square inch for multiple steaks at a time. Specifically you are able to smoke around 5-10 steaks on the grill. There are also several other components because this machine lets you smoke, roast and grill all in one. This makes it the most versatile machine on this list by a large margin. It is impressive vertically and each compartment can hold a lot of weight.
This top barbecue grilling machine is not made for daily transport like our budget and portability picks. It is still very useful at tailgates and other gatherings, however it is important to note that moving this top bbq smoking machine can be quite cumbersome for the average individual.
There is no charcoal or oil needed to operate this machine. It comes with infrared light that can be adjusted manually to help you grill, smoke and roast to whatever degree you would prefer. It is designed with beginners in mind as it has a cool-touch handle that lets you use it without worrying too much about getting burned.
- Ease of us
- Vertical layers
- Size of cooking area
List of 7 Other Pellet Smokers We Reviewed
The Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker is well known in many smoker corners as one of the best products on the market. It is one of the products that boasts an insane cooking surface area. Many costumers were most impressed with how many burgers they could cook at once on this Offset machine. Here is the review for this product.
With a price under $75 and the second most number of features on our list, this top barbecue smoking machine is well known for providing benefits well beyond the stated price. It is important to note that this is one of the lowest priced heavy duty machines on the market at the moment. With the amount of added features this machine possesses and the price it is charged, most customers know they have made a steal when they purchase this product. It is also extremely durable which makes it even more purchase worthy.
With a surface area of about 290 square inches, this Offset machine is able to hold up to 18 large burger patties at once. You are able to put more, however we found that 18 patties was the limit if you were looking for “well cooked” patties. It is a heavy duty smoker that also possesses a 140 square inch warming rack that keeps your food nice and warm as you work on other aspects of the process.
This is a heavy duty machine created for high quality grilling and smoking. It is actually one you should leave in your backyard as it is very difficult to transport without a truck or van of some sort. It is good for small scale parties where you do not necessarily need to feed too many people.
There is a door attachment that collects ash and makes it easily removable, so that you are not spending an exorbitant amount of time cleaning out the grill. This barbecue smoker makes cleaning a lot easier and that is one of the impressive features of this top machine.
- Size of cooking area
- Extra features
This is another heavy duty vertical barbecue smoker machine for the manly man who likes to grill in their back or front yard for the neighborhood kids.The manufacturers of this top bbq grilling machine pride themselves on their ability to consistently create first rate smokers that are a cut above all other charcoal smokers on the market. Below is a review of this product based on our selection criteria. Please see the attached excel report to see more of the features that are not listed here.
The attached report states that this barbecue smoker costs under $190, making it one of the more affordable heavy duty machines on the market. It boasts of several awesome features which makes it worth the price. To be exact it is one of three on this list that possesses 17 positive features of the several we tested. This is an impressive feat, as most heavy duty machines either cost a lot more or do not come with the same awesome features.
This vertical Offset machine comes with 6 separate height-adjustable grates that can contain all sizes of food. It boasts a total of 1176 square inches of cooking surface area and each grate is able to carry over 25 pounds of food. This is key, because out of all the machines we researched, this one may be the true heavyweight of heavyweights.
As with all other heavy duty Offset machines, this smoker is one that requires a truck or van to move from one place to another. It is not made for portability. Rather it is made for you to sit in your backyard, smoke and grill meats, and watch as your neighbors swarm your house like a pack of wolves. The way it is designed also allows you keep flavor in, so that your grilled food is rife with the flavors you intend.
The built in stainless steel thermometer alerts you when your food has reach the ideal temperature for consumption. It comes with an easy to discern gauge that helps you cook meats to perfection without a worry about undercooking. This is important because food poisoning is capable of killing you. If you would like to smoke your meats to safe temperatures, this Offset vertical machine is for you.
- Vertical layers
- Heat conservation
- Stationary rather than portable.
Weber is well know for creating highly portable machines that you can take with you anywhere you go. The other Weber products on this list should be a testament to that. This machine is no different from the others; it is increasingly easy to use and comes with tires at the bottom that allows you to roll it wherever you like. The following is an honest review of this product and why we thought it deserved to be on our list.
This machine is priced below $100 and for good reason. It is not as good as our budget pick, we will admit that. However, this machine offers great value for the price you pay for it. Features like the size of the cooking area and the rust-resistant vents makes it worthy of being priced that high. It smokes meats very efficiently because the manufacturers are geniuses of grill making.
It comes with a 363 square inches of total cooking surface area, making it one of the best portables on this list. You are able to smoke about 6-8 steaks on this machine at one time and believe all the steaks will be evenly cooked inside and out.
This machine is a lightweight portable machine that comes with wheels to make transporting it easier than ever. You are now able to move the grill from your backyard to your neighbors backyard without too much of a hassle. Some customers even raved about how they are able to take these to tailgates and wheel-y them around from tent to tent, giving people meats when the other tents ran out.
This product comes with aluminum vent that does not rust; meaning that your machine expels smoke properly and does not introduce a rusty taste into your food. The stainless steel One-Touch cleaning system that comes with Weber products is also impressive. This machine is very well rounded and it makes for an awesome portable smoker.
- Smoke expulsion
- Very portable
- Cooking area size
Another portable masterpiece created by Weber. This machine is one the most well respected machines on the market at this point. It is incredibly versatile and stores the flavors and tastes you wish to convey so well. The following is an honest review of this product and how exactly it performs on our 4 point scale.
This machine is priced a lot higher than the other portable machines on this list. It is priced between $120 and $150 placing it in the higher range especially for portable machines. However it is well built and very solid and for this reason alone it is one of the best products on the market. Please review our attached report to see more of the great features.
This machine is built to hold at least 25 pounds worth of meats that are being grilled. It measures at around 22 inch in diameter and 363 square inch. In terms of steaks, thats about 7-9 steaks evenly smoked at the same time. This highly portable machine is on the higher end of cooking surface area, at least where feasibly portable machines are concerned.
Weber designed this smoker to be easily transported from place to place without too much hassle. It comes with wheels that roll comfortably; so that you can even sometimes roll it out during the grilling or smoking process should you need to for any reason. It is lightweight and should not be too difficult to roll from one place to the next.
With the One-Touch cleaning system and a hinged cooking grate, and a removable ash catcher, you have a product that is extremely easy to clean. This is necessary because you do not want to be spending too much time cleaning rather than enjoying the meal you just cooked.
- Cleaning is easy
- Cooking area size
The Kamado style grill is well known amongst the Japanese grilling experts as one of the best smokers on the market. It is highly respected as one of the greatest portable smokers on the market by several experts we checked with. The following is an honest review of this product and its various capabilities based on our four point scale.
This machine is somewhat overpriced for it being a portable machine. It costs almost as much as our pick, which is a solid non-portable machine. The price is between $210 and $280 making it incredibly pricey for a portable machine. It does not hold as much food per grate as most other smokers on the market. However in general with the rest of its features, we can say for sure that it is a worthy machine.
This top stainless steel machine comes with a 447 square inch cooking surface, placing it slightly above the other portables on this list. However it is built to last, and possesses a removable warming rack that keeps your food warm and juicy as you like.
It comes with a lockable wheel that allows you to push and stop anywhere you prefer, so long as it is not a cliff of some sort. This top stainless steel machine is made to be transported from area to area without too much hassle. The manufacturers charged as much as they did because it is made to be durable for years to come.
This smoker comes with a triple-walled insulation system that store heat in such a way that is conducive to evenly heating up the food. It comes also with a heat gauge made of stainless steel technology. This makes it worthy of the high price being charged for it, however we would argue that a better version of this product would be our budget pick. The choice is yours in this situation though.
- Triple walled insulation
- Cooking size area
The heavyweight and solid stainless steel machine created by Char-Griller is very well respected in the smoker and grilling community. This machine is loved by every customer that buys it, due to the super heavyweight steel that was used in its creation. Below is how this machine performed on our four point scale.
With a price under $170, this heavyweight stainless steel machine is perfect for large family gatherings or parties. It has enough cooking surface area to feed at least 200 people in one go. This machine is highly touted as one of the best heavy duty smokers on the market. Customers are raving highly about how efficiently it performs its duties and how durable this machine can be when used properly and with care. It is worth every penny.
With a total of 1063 square inches, it triples the amount of food you are able to smoke compared with the portable stainless steel machines on this list. This machine can hold an upwards of 15-25 steaks at a time. That is a feat unmatched by most of the other heavy duty machines on this list. This machine is incredibly successful on the market and that is why it is on our list.
It has wheels, however it must be transported by either a truck or van. It is a huge machine that is meant to be left in the backyard for family parties.
With an adjustable fire grate that gives you autonomous control over the heating process you are literally in control of everything. This machine is not made for new grillers but rather for seasoned grillers who like to challenge themselves. The one thing I hate the most is a novice operating a high level grill. They always burn the food.
- Cooking area size
- High Quality and heavy duty
List of Others Products We Tasted
- Char‐Griller 2‐2424 Table Top Charcoal Grill and Side Fire Box>>> 11 Positive Features as seen on our research report
- Char‐Griller 2123 Wrangler 635 Square Inch Charcoal Grill / Smoker>>> 12 Positive Features as seen on our research report
- Weber 15501001 Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill,22‐Inch, Black>>> 13 Positive Features as seen on our research report
- Char‐Griller 26720 Akorn Kamado Kooker Charcoal Barbecue Grill and Smoker, Brown>>> 13 Positive Features as seen on our research report
Care and Maintenance
Here is a list of thins you can do to properly maintain your machine so that you are not wasting the machine.
- First things first, you must always clean your girl before you begin to cook. The last thing you want is for the residue from the last meal to permeate your new meal. That is not only disgusting but it also makes the new meal taste differently than what you hoped for. Most experienced grillers will tell you that residue is good for the taste but that is completely not true. It makes it difficult for the machine to work at its peak performance.
- Cleaning the thermostat is crucial in situations where you are a rookie and you need it to tell whether your food is properly cooked to the right temperature. If you do not clean it properly, there is a chance it might misread the temperature and then you’ll be left sitting on the toilet for hours because you got diarrhea from undercooked meat.
- Clean the ash pan consistently. There is a real danger of having the ash from previous grilling days permeate into the current meal you are preparing. This could make things very dicey and your food may end up tasting like ash and smoke rather than whatever flavor you were hoping it.
Cleaning both the inner cooking chamber and the outside chamber are necessary if you want to have clean meats that are not contaminated by bacteria from other previous meat smoking experiences. I cannot tell you how many times meat that was supposed to have been cooked ended up giving people a stomach virus because someone forgot to clean the outside chamber.
The whole point of this maintenance and care section is to make you aware that there are a lot of ways to ruin the grilling or smoker experience that has nothing to do with burnt meat. There are a whole host of problems with taste, bacteria and warmth that must be addressed by cleaning the stainless steel machines thoroughly before and after. Most of these machines make cleaning very easy anyway, knowing that people would have to struggle with it at one point or another.
Wrapping it Up
Preparation is what is usually confused with luck. You must have information before you can make a good decision on anything from childbirth to grilling. The question right now is, with this list we have provided for you, will you be able to pick a great machine that you can use for the years to come? If you believe that we missed anything please let us know on our several social media outlets and we will immediately review that and see how it performs on our four point scale.
We truly believe in innovation and we know that companies are always looking for new ways to improve their products. None of the products on this list are perfect, but they are as close as you can get at this very moment.
Please feel free to join us on social media and tell us what you think of our review. We would greatly appreciate that feedback.