Seasoning a steak on your own may seem quite difficult, but it really isn’t. Even a simple seasoning method can give your steak an amazing and delicious flavor. There are also some famous methods to season steak that you can follow right in your own home. You can even try something a little out of the ordinary, maybe with spices that you’ve never tried to use before. Of course, there are still some things to watch out for when seasoning and cooking a proper steak. This article prepared by our Grills Forever team will introduce you to some simple seasoning methods, how to use ingredients, and what to watch out for when seasoning a steak at home.
How do you make some good seasonings for steak?
1. Season a steak for grilling
With a basic seasoning method, anyone can try cooking the perfect steak right at home.
- First, be careful when selecting a steak. Your beef should have a marbling of white fat running through it. This is a sign of fresh beef and will give your steak more richness and juiciness. The meat should be a rich pink or light cherry color and the surface should be moist, but not wet and never sticky.
- Once you’ve selected your steak and brought it home, it is best to begin seasoning and cooking it immediately to avoid spoiling it.
- Now, bring your steak up to room temperature first. Then, season your steak with about 3/4-1 teaspoon of salt per pound rubbed in on both sides.
- Next, apply a small amount of oil over its surface and decide whether or not to apply pepper before cooking your steak. Make sure to not apply too much pepper as an excessive amount would ruin the steak.
This simple method will result in the perfect homemade steak once you’re done grilling it.
Along with the most basic method, there are also many famous, but still simple methods to season steak.
2. Montreal steak seasoning:
Montreal steak seasoning, a famous recipe, can be easily made at home. This recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of black peppercorns, 1 tablespoon of mustard seeds, 2 teaspoons of dill seeds, 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds, 1-1/3 tablespoons of salt, 1-1/3 tablespoons of minced garlic, and 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. To make it, cook all of the seeds in a skillet or pan on the stove until fragrant. Transfer for a mortar and pestle or a sturdy bag and crush them. Add the salt, garlic, and red pepper flakes and crush them to combine them together.
3. Outback steak seasoning:
An Outback steak seasoning is also a famous delicious recipe. For this, use 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of paprika, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne peppers, 1/8 teaspoon of coriander, and 1/8 teaspoon of turmeric. Mix these ingredients together and rub it into both sides of a steak. If you wish to store them, just bring up the amount of each ingredient, making sure that they’re still in proportion. These seasonings can last for about a month or more when stored in a dry place in an airtight container. Use these seasonings as you would with salt in the basic method, experimenting with how much seasoning to rub in to get the perfect tasting steak.
4. Another unconventional seasoning:
There are also many unconventional seasonings out there that may appeal to you. For example, a little bit of ground coffee may make the flavor pop out more. Just use 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of black pepper, 1 tablespoon of coriander, 2 teaspoons of mustard powder, 2 teaspoons of ground coffee, 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder, and 1/2 teaspoons of chili powder, cinnamon, cloves, and cayenne pepper. Rub it in as you would the basic seasoning and store the rest.
A turmeric-based spice blend will give you a new and different flavor. To make this, just add 4 teaspoons of salt, 2 teaspoons of paprika, 1-1/2 teaspoons of black pepper, 3/4 teaspoons of onion, garlic, cayenne, coriander, and turmeric powder. This will give your seasoning a new and exotic flavor combination. Trying these new spices and methods is arguably the most exciting part. The possibilities for seasoning your homemade steak are endless.
Seasoning a steak might be pretty simple, but there are still things to watch out for, especially when cooking it.
- Experiment in finding the right spice blend for you and don’t be afraid to change up the proportions a bit. Don’t be afraid to overdo the seasoning and make sure that both sides of the steak are covered. Always remember to bring a steak up to room temperature before seasoning or cooking it.
- When preparing to cook a steak, don’t put it into the pan until it is hot. This will ruin the juice inside the steak, leaving you with an unappetizing piece of meat.
- Don’t flip the steak in the pan more than once as when cooking or grilling a steak, you are trying to sear the outside, locking in the flavor on the inside.
- Don’t press down on the meat as that will cause you to lose the fat and juice in the steak.
- Once the steak is finished, don’t forget to reseason the steak a bit before serving by sprinkling a bit more salt on it.
If you watch out for these things, a good steak is guaranteed in the end.
Armed with these tips and recipes, you’ll find that seasoning and grilling or cooking a steak won’t be so hard after all. Even the most basic steak recipes can result in an amazingly appetizing steak. Just make sure that you’ve selected fresh and high-quality meat to use. Along with basic methods of salt and pepper, there are also more famous seasoning blends, such as a Montreal steak seasoning or an Outback steak seasoning.
These spice blends are actually surprisingly easy to make and can even be stored for a while before use. Experimenting with different blends and spices, such as even coffee or a turmeric-based blend will help you find the perfect seasoning for steak. Of course, there are still things to watch out for, especially when cooking a steak. You want to keep all the juice and fat locked inside the steak to create an end result that will be both pleasing to the eye and delicious. All in all, homemade steak seasoning for grilling and cooking isn’t really intimidating once you know how to do it and the common mistakes to watch out for.