How to Add Smoke to a Gas Grill: Did You At Least Try?
What makes any charcoal grill distinctive is that it imparts a smoky flavor to the smoked food. Although people find the gas grills convenient when it comes to usage, they do not provide a natural smoky flavor to the food that the charcoal grills can do. However, if you are not comfortable with using a charcoal grill, you can still impart a smoky flavor to your food using a gas grill! Interested to know how to add smoke to a gas grill? Follow these simple steps to achieve the smoky flavor in the food you would cook on a gas grill.
Prepare the Wood Chips
At first, you need to use a variety of hardwood chips. The popular woods used to impart a smoky flavor are oak, mesquite, cherry and hickory. Pecan shells and olive pita can also be used for this purpose. You can easily purchase wood chips from the stores that sell grills. Soaking is a crucial step when you are learning how to add smoke to a gas grill. You need to soak chip in water for one hour. A cup of chips would be fine here. Though soaking of wood is not followed by many people, this step would ensure that the chips would last for a longer time once you start using them.
Make a Foil Smoke Pouch
Drain the chips that have been soaked in water. Then place them in a heavy-duty aluminum foil. Cut out a square of about 18 inches of aluminum foil. Then wrap the wood chips in this foil and seal it tight. You need to poke holes in the pouch. You can use a fork or a knife for this purpose. This will let the smoke escape from the pouch.
Prepare the Grill for Cooking with the Smoke Pouch
Place the aluminum pouch on a cold grill. This should be done on the top of lava rocks or flavor bars under the grill grate. The pouch should not be placed in the grill where you would be placing the food. The pouch should always be positioned in the back corner of the grill.
- While preparing the grill, you need to preheat it to a high temperature.
- You need to add food to the grill and start following your recipe after noticing that a significant amount of smoke is coming out from the aluminum pouch.
- Smoking proves to be worthwhile only when the duration needed to cook your recipe lasts for twenty to thirty minutes but not less than this time frame. This is because the smoke flavor would not be absorbed into the food if your food is cooked in less time.
- Smoke pouches made of wood chips can also be utilized while cooking on a gas grill. In order to create the smoke, the pouch needs to be placed on hot coals.
- Few grills come with a smoke box that can hold the soaked chips. In such grills, there is no need for you to create a foil pouch. These days, smoke boxes are also available as an accessory. You can purchase these from stores that sell grills or smokers.
- If your cooking time is quite long, you need to increase the quantity of wood chips. This needs to be done when you are imparting the flavor to a large item, such as a large cut of meat or your thanksgiving turkey. A cup of chips should last for an hour of cooking. If your cooking time is two hours, you need use two cups of chips.
You should never use the wood that has been treated as smoke chips because it would impart an awful taste to your food. In addition, treated wood chips can also be toxic. Never use wood chips if you are not sure about how to use them. The safest thing to do is to purchase wood chips from stores that sell food-safe grade chips. This is the most important thing to remember when you are learning how to add smoke to a gas grill.
Things You will Need
- Hardwood smoking chips
- Heavy-duty aluminum foil
- Fork or knife
- Gas grill
Learning how to add smoke to a gas grill will let you impart smoky flavors to your food. This would enhance the taste of the delicacies grilled by you. These steps are actually quite simple and would help you provide the smoky flavor in the smoked food you always wanted.
Tags: how to add smoke to a gas grill
Categorised in: Blog